- Generally the Floor Warden will be notified of fire via the alarm system or by the property team to commence evacuation procedures. This floor will begin evacuating down to a specified floor or out of the building.
- In some situations, the fire department may fight the fire from the stairwell due to the location of the fire, standpipes, and hose connections. If this is the case, be prepared to move evacuees to an alternate stairwell so they may continue evacuating without interfering with the fire fighting process.
- If fire or smoke exists and the alarm is not activated, the Emergency Response Team must implement the Plan on its own. Floor Wardens and Suite Monitors are to contact Searchers, Special Assistants, Stairwell and Elevator Monitors for their suite and common areas of the floor. Together the team will commence the evacuation and assume full control of the implementation of the Plan on their floors. Do not panic, control and decorum must be observed for maximum effectiveness.
FLOOR WARDENS / ALTERNATES (Tenants: manage evacuation of tenant space)
- Direct the Emergency Response Team for their suite and common areas on the floor in the event of an alarm or fire.
- Floor wardens have dual roles they are responsible for their suite and common areas on the floor.
- Ensure that their suite and common areas on their floor are evacuated.
- Follow direction provided by the Incident Commander and the fire department during an alarm or fire.
- Report the names and locations of all individuals waiting for assistance to evacuate/relocate to the local authorities.
SUITE MONITORS / ALTERNATES (Tenants: manage evacuation of a tenant suite)
- Direct the Emergency Response Team and occupants in the event of an alarm or fire.
- Follow direction provided by the Incident Commander and the fire department during an alarm or fire emergency.
- Take attendance of suite occupants and visitors at your suite’s Designated Meeting Location to ensure that all individuals are accounted for. Report missing persons to the local authorities.