The building may be fully or partially evacuated when a fire alarm signal is activated. An effective evacuation depends on the orderly âphasingâ of floor clearance, which means that the fire floor is evacuated first and immediately. Generally, the next floors to evacuate are the two floors directly above the fire floor, followed by the two floors directly below the fire floor. Each floor will evacuate down five floors accordingly. Specific evacuation procedures vary by location and code. The Incident Commander will be in charge of the evacuation until the fire department arrives, and at that time, the fire department takes control of the building, the emergency and the evacuation.
THE PERSON WHO DISCOVERS THE FIRE SHOULD:
- Close the door nearest to the source of smoke, only if it is safe, and time permits.
- Move everyone out of the area and instruct him or her to close doors behind them when exiting. This will help control the fire by limiting the oxygen supply and prevent the spread of smoke and fire. Searchers are responsible for checking offices/rooms outside of the immediate area.
- Dial 911 or the local emergency number from a safe location, and provide the dispatcher with the following information:
- Type of Emergency
- Location of the Fire
- What is burning
- Company Name
- Physical Address [not building name]
- Floor and Suite number
- T elephone Number
- Call the Customer Service Center and report the emergency.